Saturday, January 30, 2010

小笼包: Shanghai Soup Dumplings (Xiao Long Bao)

                          

I love to cook.  I really love to cook. I would say that my signature dish is Chinese dumplings.  Everytime I make it for myself when I lived in Jacksonville, I would get reprimanded by my brother and mother because I didn't invite them over to my apartment to give them some.
The only thing I didn't like about my dumplings were the fact that when I made the skin, it always came out thick. I was never able to make a thin, delicate, fragile dumpling skin.  I realized this while watching Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation Shanghai episode. Watching the soup dumplings being made had my mouth watering so much. To see them bite into the dumpling and the soup just spilling out and down their chins...

Oh, God....my heart hurts from jealousy...

I've never made soup dumplings and feel like it should be my next venture in cooking. So for an hour,I've been online trying to find an exquisite Xiao Long Bao recipe and I DID!

Steamy Kitchen is a food blog that I've recently discovered.  Everything Jaden (the genius of that delicious blog) cooks something, I want to find her address and just rush over there and ask to be adopted.  The recipe is so detailed and she even put up a slideshow of how to close the dumplings the beautiful Xiao Long Bao way.  I remember watching it on TV and wondering, " What the hell? How...what....when....how the hell?"  And now the mystery is solved!  I'm so excited, I can't wait to go and find the ingrediants for it! 

Here is the recipe, credit to Jaden of Steamy Kitchen.  Make sure you buy her cookbook at Barnes and Nobles! That's my next purchase after eating these num-num dumplings.


No comments:

Post a Comment