Sunday, January 31, 2010

Singapore: The True Reason I Want To Go

Ever since I saw Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservation" episode about Singapore, i've made it my one of my priorities to go.  I had also watched a random Singapore drama called "Tiramisu" which I LOVED.  The accents Singaporeans have when speaking English is really fun to listen to.  But it wasn't just scenery and accents that got this place to be in my Top 5.  Oooohhhh Noooo...

It Was The Food.

Chicken and Rice and my favorite (which I have yet to taste) Sup Tulang.  Literally transalted "bone soup" this bright red dish is made with what I think is mutton bones, tomato, and i think chili paste.  I can just picture myself picking up those bones and the glowing red sauce seeping down my fingers towards my elbows. Sucking the end of the bone for that meaty marrow.

But also, Singapore seems like one of the most westernized countries in Asia. I would love to go there and learn why. Is it based on history? Because of trade? Also the fact that even though this country is almost 70% Chinese from what I heard, English is their main language. When they're not speaking English, they are speaking Malay. Malaysia? How did that happen? Another thing i'd love to dive into to.
So as present from me to you, here is the episode of Singapore on Travel Channel's No Reservations credit to ArcApex.










No comments:

Post a Comment